To undecorate or not to undecorate

I have pondered and played with the idea that we should be undecorating maximized windows. On my netbook it really does help with screen real estate and makes the interface feel more integrated. Well I have been chatting with some folks on #gnome-shell and reading some of the bugs filed against this subject. Well I have finally come up with a solution I ultimately like.

I believe that maximized windows should be turned into border-only windows. This allows the metacity theme to specifically say what to and how to draw the border of the window only when it is maximized. One theme can cram the menubar right up against the Activities button, while another one can make a nice large strip the size of a normal window border, title and all. Everyone can have it their way, just like Burger King.

I will post how all this can be accomplished at a later time, after I push the code to my repos. For the short term to help you decipher my ramblings, here is a screenie.

posted on Monday, September 21, 2009

0 comments:

Post a Comment